With more than 28,000 team members in offices worldwide, CH2M HILL offers consulting, design, design-build, operations and program management services to government, civil, industrial and energy sector clients.
Expansion over the years has led CH2M HILL to assignments around the globe — England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Israel, New Zealand, Philippines, and China, to name a few. Its team of engineers, planners, hydrogeologists, scientists, and technical specialists provides a full range of environmental consulting services and technologies to all levels of government and the private sector, in North America and globally.
CH2M HILL Canada Limited consists of more than 2,000 employees, and has Ontario offices in Toronto, Ottawa, Barrie, Niagara, Kitchener and London, serving Central and Eastern Canada, and offices in Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Kamloops and Burnaby, serving Western Canada. The Company provides its services in the environmental, water, wastewater, power, nuclear, transportation, manufacturing, construction, and oil and gas industries. It has twice been honoured with the Schreyer Award, the highest national award for engineering excellence.
The projects in which CH2M HILL Canada engages for its clients demonstrate a commitment to seeing the bigger picture. The perspective, knowledge and innovative thinking the company brings to projects enable its clients to see that bigger picture, too.
CH2M HILL Canada’s expertise in sustainability enables clients to measure the effects of projects on business, people, communities and the planet, while its understanding of the Canadian market gives clients the insight needed to make better decisions.
In recent years projects have included:
- the Golden Ears Bridge, a design-build-finance-operate project carried out for the Greater Vancouver Transportation Authority to improve transportation infrastructure serving four municipalities
- the Vancouver to Whistler Sea-to-Sky Highway Improvement Project, for which the company served as procurement manager
- Calgary’s Pine Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant, a greenfield facility for which the company provided project management, engineering, architectural and commissioning services, and which was designed to be capable of serving an expected population base of 1.75 million in the long term
- the completion of Phase I and Phase II of the Lakeview Water Treatment Plant expansion program in the Regional Municipality of Peel, west and northwest of Toronto
- the Stage 4 expansion of the Lulu Island Wastewater Treatment Plant on the Fraser River, for which the company served as prime consultant
- the characterization of the environmental status of and application of mitigation measures to the West Don Lands brownfield redevelopment site in Toronto
- a highway interchange project in Calgary for which the company implemented an innovative project delivery system leading to substantial completion of construction only six months following functional project approval
When two civil engineers, William Gore and William Storrie, formed a partnership in 1919 with Dr. George Nasmith, a bacteriologist and public health specialist, the new company, Gore, Nasmith & Storrie, combined two disciplines within a single firm. While this was an unusual combination in those days, it now looks like an astute recognition of the expertise required for dealing with many of the issues we face today.
The company was also a pioneer in the consulting engineering profession. At that time, the whole of Canada had only 20 other consulting engineering firms. Today, there are more than 4,000.
Since its formation in 1919, the company has undergone a number of changes. Upon the retirement of George Nasmith in 1937, the company changed its named to Gore & Storrie. In 1954, it incorporated as Gore & Storrie Limited. During the 1960’s and 1970’s, the company grew its business on its own and through partnerships, primarily in Ontario and Alberta.
CH2M HILL was founded in January 1946 in Corvallis, Oregon, as CH2M — a name derived from the initials of the company's four founders, Fred Merryfield, Holly Cornell, James Howland, and T. Burke Hayes. Some 25 years later, the company merged with Clair A. Hill and Associates to form CH2M HILL. Following this change, it became an employee-owned corporation.
In 1978, CH2M HILL opened its first Canadian office, in Calgary, Alberta. In 1986 its Canadian business, CH2M Hill Engineering Ltd., merged with Canadian engineering firm Canviro Consultants Ltd. In 1995, CH2M HILL Engineering Ltd. merged with Gore & Storrie Limited to become CH2M Gore & Storrie Limited. In January 2001, that name was changed to CH2M HILL Canada Limited.
CH2M HILL Canada’s dedication to safeguarding the environment and being responsive to the increasingly specialized needs of clients remains the cornerstone of its success. From the very beginning, technical excellence and innovation have been a hallmark of the company. In the early 1920’s, through the pioneering efforts of Dr. Nasmith, it was involved in North America’s earliest experiments with activated sludge for sewage treatment plants. The activated sludge process is a biological treatment process whereby wastewater is mixed in aeration tanks with micro-organisms that consume organic waste. The process was employed in Canada long before the United States adopted it, and the North Toronto plant — the company’s original sewage treatment assignment in Toronto, built in 1927 — was one of the earliest plants on the continent to use the activated sludge process. In the 1930s, the company designed Toronto’s largest water filtration facility, the R.C. Harris Plant, and enlarged it in 1954. To this day, the plant stands not only as an architectural landmark, but also a grand monument to public service.
CH2M HILL’s business is always about taking care of its clients, delivering excellent work, being a top employer, and staying true to its values:
- Respect: A civil, ethical workplace, which delivers sustainable excellence based on “Jim’s Little Yellow Book”, a statement of CH2M HILL’s core values written by co-founder James Howland
- Delivery Excellence: Quality driven by the needs of clients, and projects delivered safely in the “CH2M HILL Way”
- Employee Control: Responsible financial management to maintain long-term stability at CH2M HILL and provide it with the flexibility to invest and grow as it chooses
These values have led CH2M HILL to become a forward-thinking group of 28,000 professionals across the world today, dedicated to helping clients overcome limitations and achieve a better world.
CH2M HILL’s drive to exceed client expectations has many dimensions.
Health, Safety and Environment — creating a safe work environment, fostering a culture of continuous safety consciousness, and always working toward the goal of having no adverse impact on the environment
Community — supporting organizations which focus on water and energy issues and promote environmental stewardship, and supporting employees as citizens of their communities
Education — inspiring and supporting the education of a future workforce which will dedicate itself to solving the environmental and engineering challenges of tomorrow
Service — exhibiting high integrity, loyalty and trustworthiness, engaging in a culture of collaboration, and ensuring that clients and partnerships receive value from CH2M HILL’s work
Diversity — supporting an inclusive, stimulating and creative work environment that fosters fairness and respect, values differences, and maximizes employee potential
Thought Leadership — sharing expertise in areas at which CH2M HILL excels
Sustainability — committing to sustainable business practices, and delivering sustainable solutions for the benefit of the planet
Individual projects may emphasize one dimension over another, but every project requires a commitment to exceed expectations. Barriers to success lead CH2M HILL to outperform.